With 6 full time consultants, this department offers the complete gamut of medical and surgical treatment for all diseases pertaining to the retina. All types of surgical procedures in the retina including managing complicated retinal detachments, advanced diabetic eye disease and injury to the retina following trauma and road accidents are performed on a regular basis.
The Department has one of the most advanced Macula services in the State of Kerala and has a large referral base from all Districts in Kerala.
Diabetic Retinopathy Services: The Institute offers the entire range of facilities for the diagnosis and treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy. The department conducts regular patient education programs and screening programs for patients with diabetes mellitus for early detection of diabetic retinopathy. The center is a tertiary referral center for the management of advanced diabetic retinopathy.
Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP) Clinic: This condition which affects premature infants immediately after birth could be a blinding disease if not detected or left untreated at an early stage. Ophthalmologists trained in the treatment of ROP examine the eyes of premature infants in various neonatal centers in hospitals across the city and also in neighbouring districts for early detection of this condition. The Institute provides laser treatment for this particular condition and also surgical expertise for advanced cases.
The recently acquired Heidelberg Imaging System, the most advanced system in the world, has further augmented our diagnostic facilities, benefitting our patients.
Dr Giridhar. AMedical Director & Chief MentorView Profile
Dr Mahesh GSenior Consultant & HOD, Vitreo retinaView Profile
Dr. Thomas KuriakoseSenior Consultant & Director of AcademicsView Profile
Dr Lekha T Senior Consultant OphthalmologistView Profile
Dr. Jyoti Prakash VyasConsultant Vitreo RetinaView Profile
Dr. Anubhav GoyalConsultant-Vitreo Retina & ROP ServicesView Profile
Dr Kiran ChandranAssociate ConsultantView Profile
Dr. Jiz Mary SanthoshFellow Vitreo RetinaView Profile
Dr. Vineet Prasanna ShahFellow Vitreo RetinaView Profile
Dr. Mahak BhandariFellow Vitreo RetinaView Profile
Dr Ann Maria Rodriguez Fellow - Vitreo RetinaView Profile
Dr Kinjal ShahFellow-Vitreo RetinaView Profile
Dr. Ashapurna BorgohainFellow-Vitreo RetinaView Profile
Dr. Chappidi Yogya ReddyFellow-Vitreo RetinaView Profile
Dr Giridhar. AMedical Director & Chief Mentor
- MBBS & MS from JIPMER, Pondicherry (India’s premier Medical Institute).
- Sub-specialty training in Vitreo Retinal Diseases and Surgery at Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai.
- He has over two decades of experience as a practicing Vitreo Retinal Surgeon.
- Contributed significantly towards imparting education to young Ophthalmologists and also spreading awareness about Diabetes and its implications in the eye sight amongst General Practitioners and Health Workers by conducting many educational camps in the State of Kerala.
- Trained over 20 young eye surgeons in Vitreo Retinal surgery and nearly 50 Ophthalmologists in Medical Retina esp. in the basic treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy which includes Ophthalmologists from remote areas where such facilities are not available.
- Published over 20 articles in peer reviewed journals pertaining to retinal diseases and has delivered over 200 lectures in various National and International conferences.
- Conducted many CME (Continuing Medical Educational) programs pertaining to vitreoretinal diseases.
- Honoured with several awards including APAO Distinguished Service Award conferred on him at APAO Congress held in Tokyo Japan in April 2014 & ASRS Honour Award for outstanding services.
- His primary area of interest is Diabetic Retinopathy and he has undertaken many community related activities to create awareness about diabetic retinopathy in patients with diabetes mellitus esp. in rural areas. His special interests include Diabetic Retinopathy, Age Related Macular Degeneration and Vitreous surgery.
Dr Mahesh GSenior Consultant & HOD, Vitreo retina
- MBBS, DO MS from Govt. Medical College, Trivandrum, DNB from National Board of Examinations and FRCS (Glasgow)..
- Vitreo Retinal Fellowship from Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai
- He has 10 peer reviewed publications and more than 100 National and International presentations.
- Performed more than 2500 complex vitreoretinal surgeries and more than 1500 laser procedures.
Achievements & Awards
- National ophthalmic Quiz conducted by All India Ophthalmological Society – Runner up in 2003 and Winner in Varanasi 2004
- Best poster award in the Kerala Society of Opthalmic Surgeons meeting in Thrissur, 2003
- Best paper Sankaramenon award in the Kerala Society of Ophthalmic Surgeons Meeting 2005
- Best Paper Sivareddy award in the Kerala Society of Ophthalmic Surgeons meeting 2007
- Best posterior segment free paper award Kerala Society of Ophthalmic Surgeons meeting 2008
- Best Video film Tony Fernandez award Kerala Society of Ophthalmic Surgeons meeting 2008
- National Ophthalmic Quiz conducted by All India Ophthalmological Society in Cochin 2012.
- Received Dr Noel Moniz memorial Anterior segment free paper award in KSOS Annual Conference Drishti 2014.
- Special interest in complicated retinal detachment and diabetic retinopathy surgery.
Dr. Thomas KuriakoseSenior Consultant & Director of Academics
· MBBS & DO from CMC Vellore. Best outgoing DO trainee.
· DNB, National Board of Examinations New Delhi
· FRCSEd, Edinburgh UK.
· Three year specialist training in Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Edinburgh UK
· Sub-specialty training at PAEP, Edinburgh, UK and CMC Vellore.
Clinical and Teaching Experience:
· Over 25 year experience as an Ophthalmologist, with special interest in General Ophthalmology, Cataracts and Vitreo-retinal surgery.
· Ex Professor of Ophthalmology and Head of Department CMC Vellore.
· Worked as Consultant Ophthalmologist in UK .
· Involved in training Medical students, Optometrist, Nurses and Ophthalmology postgraduates for over 25 years.
· Involved in organizing and participating in out-reach programme (camps) for Ophthalmology.
· Post Graduate examiner for various Indian universities, University of Malaysia, and Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK.
· Done many thousand cataract surgeries and vitreo-retinal surgical procedures; besides doing other surgeries of the eye and adnexa.
· Experienced in doing Optic Nerve sheath fenestrations.
· Has over 40 publications in peer reviewed journals with published articles quoted in Ophthalmology text book like Alebert & Jakobiec’s principles and practice of Ophthalmology.
· Two chapters in text books.
· Author of the book “Clinical Insights and Examination Techniques in Ophthalmology” published by Springer.
· Presented papers in National and International conferences.