SSM Eye Research Foundation
SSM Eye Research Foundation, established in memory of Ayalur Harihara Iyer Subramania Sharma, is a not-for-profit organization (Charitable Trust) whose primary objective is to provide subsidized and free treatment esp. for poor patients with diabetic retinopathy. The trust also is involved in running three free eye clinics in the greater Cochin area and also conducts various awareness and screening programs in diabetic retinopathy. Very deserving and poor patients are also provided surgical intervention as and when required. Towards meeting this end, its founders launched several outreach and in-house programmes, all of them free of cost. Some of the activities of the Foundation over the years
- Cataract surgery with intra-ocular lens implantation for people below poverty line.
- Outreach programmes in rural areas to create awareness about common eye diseases leading to blindness-Cataract, Diabetic Retinopathy and Glaucoma.
- School screening programme for testing vision in primary school children.
- Diabetic Retinopathy awareness and screening camps.
- Support charitable eye clinics.
- Establishment of a centre for rehabilitation of the visually handicapped.
- Providing fully-equipped mobile eye unit for villages and remote areas for comprehensive eye
|Year||No of Camps conducted||No of Patients Screened||No of free Cataract Surgeries Done|
The S.S.M. Eye Research Foundation honours an eminent Ophthalmologist, Medical Teacher or a Medical Scientist once every two years to acknowledge their contribution in the development and progress of Ophthalmology and allied sciences. The Foundation conducted the 1st SSM Oration on the 8th September 2007, 2nd Oration in July 2009 and the 3rd Oration in September 2012.
|1||09/Sept/2007||Prof. Renuka Srinivasan||Intraocular Lens Implantation Surgery – Challenges and Choices.||National Symposium on Diabetes and Eye held at Hotel Presidency.|
|2||18/July/2009||Prof. Dr S Natarajan||Tackling the burden of diabetes related blindness in India.||International Symposium on Medical Retina held at IMA Convention Centre (18/19th July 2009)|
|3||15/Sept/2012||Dr Lalit Kapoor||Medico Legal issues in day-to-day practice – preventive aspects.||Cataract Surgery-Sharpen your knowledge and skill held at Gokulam Convention Center, Kalooor 15/16 Sept 2012|
|4||02/Oct/2016||Dr T S Surendran||Overview of Strabismus – an experience of four decades.||Paediatric Potpourri 2016 held in IMA convention Centre on 2nd October 2016.|
|5||29/Sept/2017||Swami Advayananda||Sight & Vision||Retinal Imaging & Beyond held on 29/30 September 2017 in Hotel Crowne Plaza, Cochin.|
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Besides drawing heavily on the resources of the Giridhar Eye Institute, the foundation also thrives on donations from people who care. Here’s how you can help us out in our activities:
- When you donate Rs 3,000 - you fund ONE cataract surgery
- When you donate Rs 5,000 - you fund TWO cataract surgeries
- When you donate Rs 10,000 - you fund ONE cataract surgery every year for 5 YEARS
- When you donate Rs 15,000 - you fund TWO cataract surgeries every year for 5 YEARS
- When you donate Rs 25,000 - you fund a major retinal surgery
If you want to be associated with us in an even bigger or a different manner, please contact us at the SSM Foundation address given below:
SSM Eye Research Foundation is a non-profit organization and donations are eligible for exemption under Section 80G of the Income Tax Act.
SSM EYE RESEARCH FOUNDATION
GIRIDHAR EYE INSTITUTE 28/2576,
PONNETH TEMPLE ROAD, KADAVANTHRA,
COCHIN-682 020, INDIA
Ph: (0484) 4170000, 8129311899,